![]() |
| First edition cover. |
I watched the film Cabaret before reading the book - so I found it interesting the differences between the characters from the film to the book. I prefer the characters in the book - I feel like they are more realistic - and more like how I would have imagined them to be. For example in the book Sally Bowles is English - which I think suits the character a lot more. If I chose Sally to be my final character I would definitely use the English version, I think it would be interesting to use this as inspiration for my design.
Isherwood based Sally on a real actress called Jean Ross, who he met in the early 1930's and shared a lodging with.
When Sally first appears in the book, this is how she was described by Isherwood: "I noticed that her fingernails were painted emerald green, a colour unfortunately chosen, for it called attention to her hands, which were much stained by cigarette-smoking and as dirty as a little girls. She was dark enough to be Fritz's sister. Her face was long and thin, powdered dead white. She had very large brown eyes which should have been darker, to match her hair and the pencil she used for her eyebrows." (Goodbye to Berlin, pages 34-35)
This book also influenced the BBC drama 'Christopher and his kind', which I have also watched to help my understanding of Berlin and the characters in the story. In this drama I found it really interesting how they portrayed Sally - in terms of her makeup and hair - and her personality. I feel that she wasn't as outrageous and didn't show so much extreme behaviour like she did in the film - which I preferred as I think it makes it seem a lot more realistic.
![]() |
| Sally Bowles in 'Cabaret' |
| Jean Ross in 'Christopher and his kind' |
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8388899/Christopher-and-his-Kind-in-pictures.html?image=4
http://serich1217.tumblr.com/post/42347496278
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-52c7-Jean-Ross-the-real-Sally-Bowles#.VEUqGUtYTwI
16/10


No comments:
Post a Comment