Monday, 20 October 2014

Who is my Character?

For my historical character I have chosen Fraulein Kost. I have decided to choose her as after researching into 1920/30s Berlin and Anita Berber I thought that it would be really interesting to develop a character who has been heavily affected by the financial struggles which hit Berlin at this point - I think that her profession shows this well.

Fraulein Kost is a prostitute who lives in one of the rooms in Fraulein Schneiders house. She earns money by offering favours to sailors.

In 'Goodbye to Berlin' she is described as:
• a 'blonde florid girl with large silly blue eyes',
• 'She is plump but has a good figure'.
• 'She walks along the line for her living'.
• 'A common prostitute'.
• 'do you know what she used to be? A servant girl! And then she got onto intimate terms with her employer and one fine day, of course, she found herself in certain circumstances…And when that little difficulty was removed, she had to go trot-trot…'

She isn''t described much in the book but from these descriptions I imagine her to be a pretty woman slightly older than Sally, as in the script she is decscribed as being 'thirtyish'. I imagine her to be what Sally could potentially end up like, just trying to earn money during the hard financial times after the World War.

No comments:

Post a Comment