Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Turning historical design into contemporary

I printed out images of my final historical design, and use pastels and gel pens to turn them into a contemporary design. I found this really useful, as it helped me to start thinking about how I would create a contemporary look with factors from the 1930's within it. 
In this design I wanted to create an ombre look, as this is a look which is very popular in todays culture. I also wanted to create big lips, but exaggerating the shapes seen in Cabaret. I added silver in to link in with the scene 'money'. 













I didn't really like this design, as I thought that it looked quite 80s. I wanted to create the effect of big hair in a similar shape to the 1930s style but it didn't work out very well. 















 This was my favourite design out of the three. I liked the idea of  turning the hair into more of a pastel colour, and I particularly liked the pink tones. I also like the idea of keeping the 1930s style hair in my design, just adding some contemporary aspects to it to turn it into a club culture design. I like the idea of having silver in the roots, which would also fit in well with the money scene which I am going to base my design on.
In this design I experimented further with the pink hair, and I like the idea of having darker pink tones within the style. I also tried to add frizz to the side, but you can't really see it in this image. I think having frizz instead of curls would add a contemporary look to the hairstyle, otherwise it might look too 1930s. I also experimented with makeup, by adding glittery brows and a glitter ombre lip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment